South Australia is committed to supporting the members of the Stolen Generations through the Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme.
The South Australian Government has established an $11m Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme.
The Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme will fund up to $6m in ex-gratia payments to individuals who are members of the South Australian Stolen Generation.
A further $5m will be allocated to creating a Stolen Generations Community Reparations Fund. The Fund can be used to recognise the grief, pain and loss experienced by communities, families and individuals and to also support a range of proposals that can assist in the healing process.
The introduction of the scheme is a significant step in South Australia’s Reconciliation journey – one which provides for compensation but also enables members to tell their stories, a critical part of the healing process.
The Individual Reparations Scheme has closed for applications.
Phone 08 8463 6533
Mobile 0466 451 651
For counselling and support, please visit the following organisations:
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Agency, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Phone 08 8406 1600
- Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement Phone 1800 643 222, Email email@example.com
- Relationships Australia SA Phone 1800 188 118
Watto Purrunna Aboriginal Primary Health Care Service:
- Muna Paiendi, corner Mark and Oldham Roads, Elizabeth Vale SA 5112
Phone 08 8182 9206
- Maringga Turtpandi, GP Plus Super Clinic, 1 Gilles Crescent, Hillcrest SA 5086
Phone 08 7425 8900
- Wonggangga Turtpandi, corner Church and Dale Street, Port Adelaide SA 5015
Phone 08 9240 9611
- Kanggawodli, 16-22 Clements Street, Dudley Park SA 2250
Phone 08 8342 2250
Community Reparations Fund
The $5m Stolen Generations Community Reparations Fund has been established to support projects or programs that will promote healing for members of the Stolen Generations, their families and the wider community.
A recent Expression of Interest attracted more than 70 submissions, with the following organisations successfully receiving a total of $1.25m in the first round of funding:
- Aboriginal Health Council SA
- Aboriginal Lands Trust
- Ara Irititja Aboriginal Corporation
- Ardagula Aboriginal Corporation
- City of Adelaide
- City of Playford
- Dusty Feet Mob
- Judy Beyer, auspiced by the Blackwood Reconciliation Group
- Journey of Healing
- Martin Pascoe, auspiced by Catholic Education SA
- Marula Aboriginal Corporation
- Murray Bridge High School
- Nexus Arts
- Ngarrindjeri Land and Progress Association
- Point Pearce Aboriginal Corporation
- Raukkan Community Council
- Relationships Australia (SA)
- SA Museum
- Stolen Sisters, auspiced by SA Stolen Generations Aboriginal Corporation
- Wami Kata Old Folks Home
Download PDF | 215.7 KB
Given the strong response to the Fund, further funding rounds will open in the near future.
A community consultation process in 2016 identified many project themes including recording personal and community histories, family history research, healing and support initiatives, arts and cultural activities, community education, memorials and places of reflection.
Download PDF | 2.78 MB
For more information contact
Phone (08) 8463 6519
Mobile 0466 501 132
Kyam Maher Ministerial Statement
The State Government will establish an $11 million Stolen Generations reparations fund. The Next Steps – Stolen Generations Reparation Scheme will involve a fund of up to $6 million for ex gratia payments for those members of the state’s Aboriginal communities removed from their families, and whose usual place of residence was South Australia at the time of the separation.
Watch the statement by Kyam Maher MLC, Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation highlighting why this scheme is so important:
Download the statement
Download PDF | 40.2 KB