Big data refers to the process of collecting, organising and analysing large amounts of data, to discover patterns and other useful information in order to make better decisions.
Funded by the Government of South Australia, the BDCP will be delivered by the Data To Decisions Cooperative Research Centre (D2D CRC) and aims to encourage South Australian manufacturers to explore opportunities for using big data to improve productivity, competitiveness and increase profitability.
Two types of projects are eligible for support under the BDCP:
- Big Data Investigation (BDI): the D2D CRC will identify opportunities for the successful applicant to use big data to create value by using existing data, as well as external data and the steps required to adopt the technology. A BDI project is expected to take up to four weeks.
- Big Data Development (BDD) – the D2D CRC will deliver a tailored software solution using existing available data and/or open source data. The software developed will be used to solve a business problem, for example reducing equipment maintenance, supply chain optimisation, demand forecasting, or to enhance an existing product. Open source software will be used where possible. A BDD project is expected to take up to eight weeks.
How to apply
Businesses can apply for either project type or initially carry out a Big Data Investigation project and then apply for a Big Data Development project (subject to available funding).
The program is offered on a competitive basis and is aimed at businesses that have little or no experience with big data, as well as those who already undertake some data analysis.
Individual projects are expected to be completed within 4-8 weeks.
To be eligible for assistance under the BDCP, an applicant must:
- Be a solvent, financially viable business or commercial enterprise
- Hold an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Be based in South Australia
- Have been in operation for longer than a year
- Be able to fund the required co-contribution
- Agree to provide information and data, including financial information as required
- Be prepared to commit to Senior Executive or Board level engagement.
- Agree to provide a cash payment to the D2D CRC in addition to an in-kind contribution towards the project dependant on the project type.
Download PDF | 196 KB